Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Coyote Hunting

To start off with.....we spent part of last weekend with my parents. We went to the Fall festival at their church on Sunday. Before we left home on Saturday Jake insulated with foam and aluminum the last part that he could around the base of the house. I told him that he is a "machine"......he just keeps on going and going no matter how tired he is. Saturday Oakie found a piece of a skunk and various other dead animals, needless to say he stunk really bad! We made him ride in the kennel in the back of the truck all the way to Fargo. It sure was nice to have all that extra foot room. We had a good time seeing my parents and visiting. Jason was also out on Saturday so we got to see him too.

Addy cuddling with daddy after he gave her a bath.

Addy trying to play with daddy and uncle Jason while they were watching a movie.

On Sunday, we were able to see Pete, Monique and Agnes at the Fall festival. We got to visit with them for quite a while. Jake got to hold Agnes, our goddaughter, for the first time! She sure is a cutie. All the old ladies (and even some young ladies :-) were hovering over all the babies. I've got to say though there were many many babies there!

On Sunday, we went to Menards. We got a door for Addy's bedroom, stuff for her closet, and shelving for the canning jars. I know the picture is side ways, but it will have to do. We emptied most of the boxes that had been sitting in our dining room for weeks (maybe some were there for even months :-/. This is a large portion of our canning stuff but there are still boxes that will have to find a home in our bedroom closet. It doesn't look like a lot but after we got done putting all the jars on the shelves Jake said "I don't think you will need to can for a couple years." I wish he was right.....I'm sure it will mostly be gone by next canning season.

Yesterday Jake tilled a spot for my new flower garden. I am so excited that I want to start planting it right now! It is really big, I sure hope I can find enough plants to fill it up. Some of it used to be an old flower garden. Jake said that part has better soil than parts of our garden.

What you all have been waiting for........

Coyote Hunting....
So you are thinking right now that it must be Jake who is doing the coyote hunting. Well, sorry to disappoint you but it is ME.....yes little old me! It all started yesterday. I was in the kitchen with Addy doing dishes when out of no where Oakie starts barking like crazy. Now Oakie barks at a lot of things......cars coming in the driveway, the mailman, our cat, birds, salamanders, bugs and sometimes just to hear his own voice. This time it was a different bark, it was a growl bark. I jumped, which of course made Addy scared. We went to go investigate what the racket was all about. Oakie was by the front door. I stepped out next to him, only to follow where he was looking to see a coyote standing somewhere around 30 feet away from us in the trees behind our house. Oakie kind of jumped at it which made it run off a little. It still was around so Oakie took off after it. After a couple minutes I called him back. I gave him a treat and praised him for being such a good protector.

Now, seeing one that close to the house would have been an event within itself. Today, Addy and I were in the living room when Oakie started barking again. I looked out the window to see another coyote (or maybe the same one) under the apple tree, same distance from the house as before. Oakie ran after him again. I called Jake and told him he should come home and go coyote hunting. He told me to load the 22 and have it sitting in the entryway just in case. After I put Addy down for a nap I decided to do a couple things outside, with Oakie next to me the whole time ;-). I went to go take the bucket of food scraps out to the compost. When I was close enough to see the pile guess what I saw......a coyote! I ran back to the house to get the 22. Even with all the time it took me to get the rifle and Oakie going at it, it still was around when I got back for me to get a couple shots at it. Unfortunately that coyote is still out there roaming around. I missed it! I was so mad. I followed it a little ways into the field after Oakie nipped at it and it ran off but it was too far away to shoot at it again. Jake said I should load his 243 rifle ( the one he uses for deer hunting). I think I will have him show me how to do that tonight and have it ready....I am going to get that darn coyote! I'm sure it will be back. Coyotes are either dumb or not scared. Every time I have seen one it just stands there and doesn't move until Oakie is almost on top of it or it hears the gun fire. I sure am glad we have Oakie and that he is a big dog, the coyote was a half to two thirds the size of him. If we stay out here in the country I don't think we will ever have a dog that is smaller than him. Next time someone comments on how big he is I will say "He has to be that big out here.....he is our protector and a good one at that!"

To make the day even crazier......after I got done looking for the coyote and being angry with myself for missing I look up and see a cat. A huge cat! This cat is twice the size of Dusty, our current cat. It just walked over to me and rubbed at my legs. So apparently, we have now adopted a new cat. Dusty didn't like it at first but I think they are warming up to each other. It does not like Oakie....and Oakie just stays away from it.

Well, I better go and get Addy out of bed (she is singing/screaming/talking).  Jake and I are teaching Faith Formation class at our church tonight so I need to head out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment