Thursday, August 25, 2011

Addy and Oakie.....double trouble!

Addy the Trouble Maker ;-)
On Wednesday morning I was laying on the couch resting. I was tired from staying up late the night before and then waking up early with Jake that morning. Addy was sitting on the other side of the coffee table from me. Every once in a while I would look over to see what she was up to. All I could see was her little head and she was quietly sitting there occupied with a toy (or so I thought). Once I got up I went over to the other side of the table to find what you see in this picture......homemade wipes everywhere! How she opened up the container is beyond me. I should have known that whenever she is quiet for an extensive amount of time......that means she is up to no good. Oh well, she could have gotten into something way worse.

The culprit trying to flee the scene.
`
Oakie moves out....
It all started with an accident here and another one there. The first couple were understandable. Then he did a number 2 job......yuck! I was getting ready to lose my cool. The last straw came Sunday morning. Jake opened up the door to the entryway and lets just say the words coming out of his mouth were not pretty. Oakie had peed and done 2 watery/runny number 2 jobs. I didn't even go near the door.....I was sure I would hurl. Jake cleaned it all up, bless his heart. I was glad he was home. That morning before we went to church (thank goodness we had planned on going to late church) Oakie's kennel got moved outside and that is were he resides now. He whined and whimpered knowing he was in the dog house (literally). He tries to get in the house when we go in and out. We feel sorry for him but then we remember the mess he made and don't feel sorry for him anymore. Jake has plans of building him an actual dog house in the near future.

Digging Dirt, Preparing for Concrete
Jake plans on pouring a slab/shallow foundation around the outside entry to the basement. Water leaks in and the steps are in bad shape so Jake wants to correct that. We hope in a year or two to expand the downstairs bathroom, which would come over some of the new foundation covering up part of the old entry. The bathroom wall is right behind where Jake is standing in the first picture (our bedroom is the other wall).

Roger helped Jake put up the forms a couple weekends ago. Jake is digging dirt out to make room for the sand and concrete.

Action Shot

All done digging. Jake was planning out the new part of the stairs to the basement.

Lots of dirt and rock came out.

Shoveling sand as the base. Under the piece of plywood is the mold for the new part of the stairs. The plywood was on top in case it rained.

The other side

Garden Update:
The garden is looking very good. Somethings are slowing down and getting ready to be pulled. We made pickles for the first time (on our own) and they all sealed! We are waiting for some more cucumbers to make a couple more jars.We started freezing corn Tuesday night.  It didn't take that long after all the corn was husked. We have two more nights of freezing corn. We got enough for ourselves out of the first batch. The next two batches will be for Jake's parents, they had bad luck with their corn this year. Our corn is so sweet, good and perfectly ripe that it would be a shame to let it go to waste. We are glad they can use our extras.

We were running out of bowls so Jake was trying to use this one to the max. Notice the one cob to the way right is sticking up vertically to hold the rest of the cobs from rolling off (he was thinkin :-).

Jake cutting the corn off the cobs.

Our Garden (looks kinda messy in this picture)

The tomatoes are taking over everything. They are so huge and dense, it might be hard to make sure we get them all. They are covered in lots of green tomatoes. Once they start to come it is going to get really busy around here (more than it already is). The cherry tomatoes are already coming, we have been eating them now for a while.

The squash has taken over the north part of the garden. There are so many squash in there and yet it is still trying to get into the grass. Every time I mow I run over new growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment