Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fireman and Body Fires (i.e. fever)

This last weekend my Grandma gave Jake and I a new kitty named Bibs. It is a black female and is not even a year old. We were worried how she would do with our current male cats. When we brought her home Jake put her in the cat house with some food to show her where she belonged and where food would be. She wandered off, Jake and I were sure that she was gone when we hadn't seen her for days. Last night, Jake saw her and she came right up to him. She also came nose to nose with our oldest male cat named Dressa. Dressa hissed at her and she took off. Dressa chased her high into one of our tall trees. She wouldn't come down, or rather she was too scared to try to come down. Jake and I tried coaxing her down but she wouldn't budge. Finally, Jake got the extension ladder so that he could get higher into the tree. (There are no branches were the extension ladder was, from ground to above the extension ladder was all tree trunk.) She started to come down as we continued to call her. As I was watching Jake on the ladder it reminded me of a fireman trying to get a child's frightened kitten out of the tree. We felt bad for her because she looked cold and hungry. We knew she would eventually come down (hopefully), but we wanted to be there to make sure she got some food. It ended up that we were unable to get her out, but she had come down far enough where she could get all the way to the ground if she so chose to. (There was an alternate route where a big branch had fallen down.) We put the ladder away and went inside for the night, it was getting rather dark. This morning she was not in the tree and no where to be found. We hope she comes back because she is a nice kitty and we feel bad for her.

While Jake was a fireman last night (trying to get a kitten out of a tree), I am a fire"woman" today dealing with high body temps. Addy has been sick for a couple of days and now I know it is a cold. She has been stuffy and her nose has been running like crazy. This morning when she woke up she felt very hot. Not warm...HOT. Jake and I took her temp....it was 101.3 degrees! My poor little dear has been miserable all day, she just fusses and whines. She has not been eating well, which is bad because she needs to keep up her strength. Her temp has gone down to 99.6, but she still feels really warm. I wish there was more I could do for her. I am going to take her temp again soon, wish me luck....she hates when I take her temp.

On a different note, but none less depressing, we have lots of standing water by our pole barns. I mowed some of the lawn this morning, it was getting long. There is less and less that I can mow due to standing water. I have gotten stuck with the mower multiple times (some just trying to get the mower out of the pole barn with no mower blades running). The ground needs a couple weeks of no rain to dry out, like that will happen. By that time I think we will have to hay it, the grass is already border line for taking the regular mower to it. We never had this issue last summer, it must just be a really wet year. Despite everything I am thankful that we are not having flooding problems. Many prayers for those who do.

No comments:

Post a Comment