Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oakie and Tulips


On Friday afternoon, I came into the living room to find Addy trying to undress herself. There is Jake's rifle in the background, he wants it "ready" for if he happens to see another coyote in the field next to us.  


Jake and I were taking a walk Friday evening and saw this beautiful sunset. Pictures just can't do it justice.

Saturday was cold and rainy, not what we had wanted. Instead of doing outside stuff Jake started on the trim for Addy's bedroom. I helped him cut the boards but he did everything else. I organized the entryway so that we could fit a large kennel in there for the puppy. I still have a BIG bag of dog food that I don't know where to place. We really need a new garage, one that we can put animal food in and know that the mice are not going to get at it.

Sunday we left bright and early for Minnesota to go pickup the puppy. We met Jake's dad, who had the puppy, between Fergus Falls and Alexandria. We sure wish we could have gone all the way to Milaca and seen the whole family. We stopped in Fargo to see my parents and have some of my dad's famous burgers. They sure were yummy!


Meet Oakie! He looks big in this picture but he is actually quite small. He did really good in the front seat with me. He slept between my feet most of the way back to Valley City. We named him Oakie after a horse that Jake rode in horsemanship class in college. The horse's name was Okie, but I liked it with the a added. 


When we got home we decided to enjoy some of the beautiful day outside. Here is Addy in the tulips with Oakie in  the back, getting ready to run through the flowers to Addy. She really likes him, I think they are going to be good friends.Whenever Jake tells Oakie not to do something or to stop chewing on our shoes, Addy gets a look on her face like "Uh Oh...Oakie's in trouble."


More Tulips!


This is the main drag of the tulips. There are yellow ones, red ones, red with jagged ends, light orange with dark orange accents and I saw just a couple dark pink ones with white accents. I would like to make a flower garden in this spot with the tulips as the south border and the driveway the north border. I think that there must have been a flower garden there at one point all the way to the big lilac bushes in the back by the garage. I have this suspicion because there are a lot of other perennials that are growing in random spots in that area.

We mowed the lawn also on Sunday. We had to rake almost the whole thing because there was so much grass. This week is supposed to be really nice so hopefully we can get a lot done. We just got some strawberry plants from Josh and Christine so it would be good to plant them tonight or tomorrow night. Jake is going to get straw bales from a neighbor tonight, then we can start planting. I am very excited to maybe start getting fresh strawberries next summer!

1 comment:

  1. Those tulips are gorgeous! It's so fun to find flowers in the lawn!:) I'm still working on moving around irises and others that come up in the lawn at our house. I hope the strawberries do well for you. Ours are already greening up.

    ReplyDelete